A WordPress plugin to track and share the books read, in progress and a wishlist of future books to read, with cover art fetched automatically from Amazon. Tracks and graphs reading statistics.
Now Reading Redux is a resurrection of the Now Reading Reloaded project by Ben Gunnink 188.8.131.52 codebase, which was itself a fork/re-enlivening of Rob Miller’s original Now Reading plugin. It is forked from Rob’s code as of 4.4.4svn, in order to update its interface to work with WordPress 2.7 and above.
With it, you can manage a library of your current books, as well as historical and planned books.
NRR depends on jQuery and assumes it already loaded by WP or your theme. Please use a sufficiently recent version, say 1.4 or newer, preferably the latest. The graph is generated using TufteGraph which depends on Raphaël. All necessary files are included, no additional libraries necessary (beyond jQuery).
Version: 184.108.40.206 Stable.
Report issues and feature requests here please. You may leave thank yous and generals comments on this page.
- WordPress 3.4 support.
- Fixed: The wp-config.php file may be either in its default folder or a folder above it. See Hardening WordPress. (Thanks to Alex for this request.)
- Fixed: Replaced file_get_contents() with url_get_contents() which is based on cURL/Snoopy and doesn’t suffer PHP settings. file_get_contents() required enabling allow_url_fopen in php.ini which some servers disallowed. (Thanks to Tom Saunders, TechnoMom, unsicherheitsserver, inktails and others for reporting).
- Improved the robustness of Amazon searches, debugging and error-reporting. Also, untitled books are now show with the title “Untitled” (previously they were skipped).
- Fixed: Removed hard-coding of styles from shelf and using CSS class nr_booktitle and nr_bookauthor for the title and author respectively. Also, new classes include nr_viewlibrary, nr_wishlist, nr_nobooks. Apply default CSS styles in NRR options page to get new default styles.
- Fixed: Redesigned templates to use correct and up-to-date styles and better WordPress integration.
- New options: Library Title and Wishlist Title options added.
- New option: “Use Theme templatates” to control whether or not to load theme-specific templates or defaults. Themes can have ‘now-reading’ or ‘now-reading-redux’ folders added to the TEMPLATEPATH and by enabling this option the templates will be loaded from there. Suffusion makes use of this approach as it has heavily customized templates and the defaults don’t render so well (although latest templates are much better in this regard.) For Suffusion you’re advised to copy the templates from NRR’s suffusion subfolder into Suffusion’s now-reading subfolder and enable “Use Theme templates”. Don’t forget to repeat this every time you update Suffusion!
- Added: NRR shortcode nrr_shelf added. Supports all rendering styles and filtering options supported in the Library page. See FAQ for doc and sample.
- Improved book statistics and average reading rate calculation. Statistics may be calculated by books being read per-month as well as books finished per-month (no external option, just internal function implementation).
- Improved nrr-generated page-titles shown in the browser caption-bar.
- WordPress 3.3 support.
- Romanian translation courtesy of Alexander Ovsov Web Geek Sciense.
- New option: Wishlist link. An optional link to a wishlist page shown in the sidebar.
- New options: Per shelf library, search and sidebar options to control appearence and style and more.
- Redesigned sidebar, library and search templates.
- Restructured and reorganized the Options page and grouped options.
- Changed the default Amazon Associates ID to thevoid0f-20. This can be changed from the options.
- Fixed: Library search was broken.
- Updated many outdated, depricated and unrecommended codes.
- New feature: Reading statistics and graph shown in the library page by calling print_book_stats(). Uses TafteGraph/Raphaël.
- Updated and included Suffusion NRR templates.
- New option: Hides Added dates in Manager and Book Edit pages.
- Authors and Statuses are linked to filter the books shown in the Manager.
- New option: Controls the default number of books displayed. Primarily controls the sidebar book count.
- The ‘reading’ and ‘unread’ lists are now shown in random order, the ‘read’ list is shown last read first.
- ‘View Full Library’ is now hidden in the library page. Search button is centered.
- New option: Set book visibility as private or public. Private books are not shown to anyone but the owner. Note: admins may be able to view them!
- Templates updated to improve utility.
- New option: Ignores time in timestamps, showing only dates.
- Started and Finished timestamps are automatically set when changing the status from ‘yet to read’ to ‘currently reading’ and from ‘currently reading’ to ‘finished’, respectively, only when the user leaves these fields blank. NRR no longer overwrites the user’s set values.
- Added sorting support to the Book Manager table.
- Initial import of Now Reading Reloaded 220.127.116.11
- Added this README file and renamed the old one to readme.old.